For building owners and building occupants responsible for electricity bills, undertaking a car park lighting project can achieve substantial savings over a short period of time.
Car park lighting upgrades are one of the quickest and easiest methods of gaining energy savings.
When you consider that car park lighting can be left running 24/7, 365 days, that is a lot of energy being consumed.
Car Park lighting needs to be on for safety reasons, however more often than not, during the night you may have prolonged periods of an hour or two at a time with no foot or vehicle traffic, and other periods during the day with an intermittent requirement. Controlling lighting use through motion detection sensors and PIR sensors simply makes sense.
When considering types of fixings, it is worth considering some of the highlights of efficient LED fixtures:
- They can require up to 44% less electrical power compared to traditional fluorescent lights for equal lighting.
- LED lights use energy more efficiently, consuming 2 W/m2 per 100 lux instead of the 5 W/m2 of fluorescent lighting.
- LED lights can be dimmed but also provide a more uniform light.
- They have longer average lamp life: 10.000 hours of fluorescent bulbs vs 60.000 hours of LED lights.
- LED lights do not have mercury or lead so are more environmentally friendly.